Ask Yourself Powerful Questions and Promote Extreme Insight
Coaching helps you avoid problems by providing space to think and be more intentional about your goals and actions. Moreover, coaching is especially helpful for clarifying where you want to go.
Coaches don’t provide answers and ask powerful questions to help you figure out your answers.
The Power of Coaching
Working with a coach gives you:
- Space for self-reflection
- A fresh perspective
- Challenges your thinking where you may have become stuck
- Supports you through the challenges of exploring new ideas
- Holds you accountable for your plans
Consider Your Powerful Questions and Self-Coach
I encourage you to work your way through the list of coaching questions below. You can also choose the “powerful questions” that best apply to you. Work with someone your trust to hold yourself accountable for follow-through on the answers to your powerful questions.
- Choose questions that push you out of your comfort zone or challenge you.
- Don’t answer them quickly.
- Take your time to select “your” compelling questions and contemplate your powerful answers.
Examples of Powerful Coaching Questions
- What would you like to focus on right now to get the most out of the next thirty minutes?
- What would you want to walk away from this session with that would be of the most value to you?
- How will you know that you’ve achieved that?
- What would it take for you to make that (idea/dream/plan) a reality?
- What would need to happen to feel that?
- What do you feel needs to happen in order to change your fear into excitement?
- What would it take for you to feel/be fulfilled right now?
- What is your vision?
- Whom are you becoming?
- What is present when life is most energizing for you?
- What benefit/pay-off is there to continue this behavior?
- How would it feel to step into that ideal self?
- What is the first step you could take on that plan of action?
- How would you like this situation to be (e.g., fairy god-mother)?
- How would your life be different by making this change?
- Where do you feel that in your body?
- What does that part of you want to say?
- If you could tap into that part of you, that knows what you should do – what advice would that part have for you right now?
- What would you need to know/believe in permitting yourself to
follow this dream?
- What would it look like if you were entirely successful?
- Why do you want that?
- In six months, if things were going exactly the way you want, what would you see?
- What would be your next goal after you achieve your current one?
- What would you do if you had unlimited resources?
- What is so important to you that you would stand in front of a bus to defend it?
- What would be the impact on you (and others) if things don’t change?
- What can you accomplish that doesn’t depend on others?
- What is your current biggest problem or challenge?
- What is working well?
- What has contributed to your success so far?
- What might keep you from getting where you want to go?
- What obstacles have you faced, what did you do, and what did you learn?
- What obstacles do you expect to meet? How do you plan to approach them?
- What resources do you have access to?
- What are your biggest mistakes, and what did you learn from them?
- If a friend were in your shoes, what advice would you give them?
- What is one step you could take right now that would indicate you were moving forward?
- Are there any relevant questions that have not been asked?